Virginia Commonwealth University Health Seeking Physician Scientist
Virginia Commonwealth University Health
Division of Hematology, Oncology & Palliative Care
Senior Physician Scientist - Solid Tumors
The VCU School of Medicine Division of Hematology, Oncology and Palliative Care and Massey Cancer Center are seeking a Medical Oncologist/Physician Scientist with clinical and laboratory research focus in solid tumors (e.g., lung, breast, prostate, or GI cancer). This faculty position consists of at least an 80/20 split between research and clinical responsibilities, respectively. The successful candidate is expected to collaborate in ongoing and developing research with Massey’s clinical and translational researchers and contribute to Massey’s vibrant, peer-reviewed research portfolio.
Candidates with a record of scientific achievement and research funding will be considered for an endowed chair and/or leadership role at VCU Massey Cancer Center. This position offers a competitive salary, lab start-up, and relocation package as well as four years of initial research salary support. Candidates may also be eligible for ongoing partial salary support via University Excellence Funds.
- Trains medical students, residents and fellows in the lab and while in the clinic.
- Trains postdoctoral fellows, graduate students, or undergraduate students in the lab.
- Actively participate in providing laboratory research opportunities to fellows.
- Directs a research lab and complies with all regulatory requirements.
- Writes and publishes multiple manuscripts during the course of an academic year.
- Participates in Massey Cancer Center Core Grant and CTSA applications and site visits as requested.
- Participates and engages other members of the Massey Cancer Center and the Department of Internal Medicine in collaborative research projects.
- Stays up to date on the clinical trial menu offered through the Massey Cancer Center and educates patients on their options for treatment on clinical trials.
- Provide research opportunities to Fellows.
- Serves on institutional committees, study sections, review groups, as a journal editor, or editorial boards.
- Attends on the inpatient wards and consult service and/or sees patients in the outpatient clinic. Total clinical effort should not exceed 10% effort.
- BC/BE in medical oncology with nationally-recognized accomplishment and excellence in research. Eligible for Virginia licensure.
- Seasoned cancer specialist who possesses national and/or international recognition in the clinical and research disciplines of cancer.
- Appropriate level of administrative and solid research program experience commensurate with a senior faculty position.
- Clear evidence of accomplishment in teaching, clinical and other professional activities and related administrative experience commensurate with appointment as a tenured senior faculty position.
- A distinguished record of scientific achievement evidenced by both publications and a strong track record of extramural peer-reviewed research funding.
A strong research program that will advance the clinical and translational research agenda of the Massey Cancer Center and provide leadership in multidisciplinary clinical programs that advance the science of oncology.