VCU Department of Emergency Medicine Seeking BC/BP Emergency Medicine Physicians
Virginia Commonwealth University Health
Department of Emergency Medicine
The Department of Emergency Medicine is seeking BC/BP applicants for available faculty and fellowship positions including a Research Director, and specialists in Pediatric Emergency Medicine. Interested Emergency physicians should have strong clinical skills and a demonstrated interest in teaching and / or research. Must have demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU. Our department hosts a PGY 1-3 EM residency, a PGY 1-5 EM/IM residency, and several EM Fellowships.
Primary clinical practice is provided at the Medical College of Virginia Hospital, a nationally recognized hospital and Level 1 Trauma Center, with an ED census of over 94,000 visits. Our department runs the Virginia Poison Control Center, and a nationally recognized EM Clinical Decision Unit. Our physician faculty provides operational medical direction to several large ground and aeromedical EMS agencies in Central Virginia. This position offers ample opportunities to be involved in a multitude of academic and clinical initiatives. Academic rank will be determined by credentials. An excellent salary and benefit package is available.
- Will provide core curriculum lectures to medical students, interns, and resident level trainees. As appropriate, participates in ACLS, PALS and ATLS courses.
- Provides bedside clinical teaching to all trainees within the Emergency Department.
- Participates in nursing, housestaff, medical student and paramedic educational programs.
- Actively participates in Departmental research projects when required.
- Will participate as a representative of the VCU Health System. Assignments could span the full spectrum of healthcare or be in a specific area of interest to the incumbent.
- Provides direct patient care within the emergency department, supervising all trainees, non licensed providers, and non-physician credentialed providers that provide patient care.
- Clinical obligations will be individualized depending on faculty position assignment.
- Provides efficient, high quality patient care that reflects current professional practice norms and skills and is consistent with accepted utilization guidelines.
- Documents each patient encounter with a timely, comprehensive, legible note of the ED visit.
- Presents themselves as being professional and courteous to all patients, department staff and members of the hospital community.
- Fulfills all billing and coding responsibilities as defined. Abides by the department's operational manual, policies and procedures.
- Abides by hospital rules and regulations, medical staff bylaws, credentialing requirements, and MCVH's policies and procedures.
- Participates proportionally when required with other department physicians to fill uncovered shifts due to illness, disasters, and overwhelming acute patient volumes.
- Attends all department staff meetings unless on duty in the ED.
- Participates in, and adheres to quality improvement and utilization review activities.
- Participates in relevant marketing and public relations activities on behalf of the hospital and Emergency Department.
- Participates in appropriate medical staff and hospital committees as assigned.
- Completes, in a timely manner, all reports ad requests for information from the Department Chair, Vice-Chair and the SOM.
- BE/BC IN EMERGENCY MEDICINE
- Active Virginia Medical license, DEA
- Graduate of accredited Medical School
- Graduate from an Emergency Medicine Residency Program. (Can be waived if possesses current Board Certification in Emergency Medicine)
- Completion of an Emergency Medicine residency within 3 years. If beyond 3 years of completing accredited Emergency Medicine residency program, must have completed 1500 hours of clinical activity in the past 3 years in an Emergency Department of comparable size, volume, and patient acuity. (Can be waived at the discretion of the Chair).
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.